Monday, March 5, 2012

Why Nike+iPod might be TOO technological

If you're a runner who prefers running to music there is a good chance you have at least heard of Nike+iPod, an innovative new technology that helps runners track their workouts and, more notably, plays music in accordance with the runners pace. Yes, you heard me right.

Released in 2006 but updated almost yearly since, the innovative running aide uses a sensor to track the runner's mileage, pace and calories. This information is used to enable motivational coaching during the run, as well as a playlist of music that fits the runner's pace (i.e. slower songs for a slower pace and faster songs for steadier ones).

(image courtesy of djspinbalon.com

For me, this last quality of the Nike+iPod technology is the most unnecessary. Being that running is a very personal thing, I find music preference to be unique to the individual as well. That's part of the reason I started this blog, to give my opinion of good running music while creating a space for discourse. We all have our own preferences, but it's not always easy to discover music on your own.And while I may have some good suggestions, but ultimately it's about what works for you. With this technology that Nike and Apple are now jointly providing, runners will have to hope that a musical tempo that directly mirrors their running pace is the music most likely to motivate them.

It wouldn't work for me. The music I listen to when running is dependent on many outside factors such as weather, type of run, location and physical preparation. For some reason, when it's really cold out, I prefer to listen to slower more anthemic music, even if I'm running at a quick pace. Oppositely, when it's a hot summer day, I prefer rock with a faster tempo, and for some reason I don't think Nike+iPod will understand the individuality of my musical preferences and provide an adequate playlist for me.

(image courtesy of gizmodo.com)

And while some of the other features of this device may be lucrative for runners, I find the extent to which Nike and Apple have tried to customize running music feels a bit like boundaries being overstepped. Not only may the music not fit the runner, but the motivational speeches that are given for breaking personal records and the undependable tracking technology have some runners, like me, thinking the key to the perfect running playlist might all still be in the mind.

3 comments:

  1. Another instance of companies trying to sell you a product by getting you to replace a function of the mind with a product that poorly replicated the *free* brain function.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it's a silly feature. I don't have the Nike app, but I do have a workout playlist for when I go to the gym. I don't just put my iPhone on shuffle. I specifically picked those songs because they're good motivational ones or have a helpful pace.

    The other features sound helpful, but the music one seems useless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed. Running, especially long distance, is very much a personal endeavor and many use that time to reflect on emotions and give them a physical outlet. Music often helps runners do that, but sometimes it's not just about the beat, but also the lyrics. Running to clear my mind and then occasionally hearing an inspiring lyric which gives new perspective, can make a run worth the sore muscles later.

    ReplyDelete